Re: Remote X renders transparency as black

On 08/15/2011 03:57 PM, Darac Marjal wrote:
Hi all,

I am experiencing an odd problem displaying remote (i.e. SSH forwarded)
X and wonder if I can pick your collective brains.

The situation is as follows: I am logged into my laptop, rocky. The
laptop is running Wheezy and Xorg detects the chipset as:
    [   106.371] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Arrandale
    [   106.371] (--) intel(0): Chipset: "Arrandale"
I run, for example "ssh -X fowler claws-mail". Fowler, my server, is
running Sid and (though it should be irrelevant), its graphics is:
    [825228.570] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600 GT (G84) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
What I then see is all the toolbar icons (and the folder icons) have
black backgrounds rather than the expected toolbar-coloured background.

I know this isn't a claws problem (other programs such as xfce4-about
show the same effect) and it's not an issue locally (running programs
locally on either the laptop or the server shows the correct
transparency).

Does anyone know what might be the problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

I have no idea what the problem is, but I have been seeing it -- and doing research on it -- for a few weeks now.

I can tell you that I see this on all of my Wheezy systems when running graphical apps via SSH -X session on remote systems. That's Intel to Intel, Intel to Nvidia, Nvidia to Intel, ATI to Nvidea, etc., etc. -- any client to any remote.

I have noticed that changing the system fonts has some small effect upon this. I have also noticed that this corruption of graphical elements in the toolbars (and sometimes within documents) of the remotely run applications doesn't affect LibreOffice or Mozilla applications. But it does affect all GTK and QT applications on my systems.

Up until a few weeks ago, I only ever saw the corruption on the second graphical application started in a session following a reboot of the remote system. Yes, it was that predictable (and weird). Those instances of corruption have not changed, are more severe, and require shutting down the application and restarting it.

But now there is some graphical corruption of some elements (particularly toolbars) of all of the GTK and QT applications in a remote session.