Remote X renders transparency as black

Hi all,

I am experiencing an odd problem displaying remote (i.e. SSH forwarded)
X and wonder if I can pick your collective brains.

The situation is as follows: I am logged into my laptop, rocky. The
laptop is running Wheezy and Xorg detects the chipset as:
   [   106.371] (II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Arrandale
   [   106.371] (--) intel(0): Chipset: "Arrandale"
I run, for example "ssh -X fowler claws-mail". Fowler, my server, is
running Sid and (though it should be irrelevant), its graphics is:
   [825228.570] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600 GT (G84) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
What I then see is all the toolbar icons (and the folder icons) have
black backgrounds rather than the expected toolbar-coloured background.

I know this isn't a claws problem (other programs such as xfce4-about
show the same effect) and it's not an issue locally (running programs
locally on either the laptop or the server shows the correct
transparency).

Does anyone know what might be the problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

--
Paul Saunders