Re: setting up a static IP address

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:10:15 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:52:48 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:
>
>> If adminds are requesting you the MAC address you may be still need to
>> setup a dynamic configuration for your adapter (DHCP). So I would first
>> ask them what kind of setup it is needed on your computer for a proper
>> operation.
>
> Nice idea, but they have told me that they don't do "server support".

I would not consider that to be a "support" question but a "basic"
question. In what kind of environment are you? Oh, well... damn BOFH! >:-)

> As I mentioned, I do have a second box with a static IP that works fine
> with just the configuration I'm trying here.  Although the hardware is
> different.

Your "/etc/network/interfaces" file looks right... There must be
something interfering in between :-?

How about "ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0" and then "ifconfig"?

Is dhclient runnig in background?

>> Are you running wheezy on a VM?
>
> No, Wheezy is the host, although I do have an XP VM client.
>
> Given that restarting networking after booting fixes this, I can
> probably just do that in /etc/rc.local.  But that's awfully hacky.

Yep, awful and should not be needed at all... we must be forgetting
something because this is a very basic setup most of us are using in our
systems. Check your "/var/log/syslog" for something related to your
network setup.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón