Re: setting up a static IP address

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:49:24 +0000, I wrote:

> I asked my organization to assign me a static IP address within their
> network, and they obliged.  The problem is that every time I boot now, I
> still get the old address in DHCP space that I had before.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:19:24 +0530, Mihira Fernando replied:

> Comment out allow-hotplug eth0 as you have auto eth0 there as well. Then
> reboot and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks, but that did not solve the problem.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:52:48 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:

> If adminds are requesting you the MAC address you may be still need to
> setup a dynamic configuration for your adapter (DHCP). So I would first
> ask them what kind of setup it is needed on your computer for a proper
> operation.

Nice idea, but they have told me that they don't do "server support".  As I
mentioned, I do have a second box with a static IP that works fine with just
the configuration I'm trying here.  Although the hardware is different.

> Are you running wheezy on a VM?

No, Wheezy is the host, although I do have an XP VM client.

Given that restarting networking after booting fixes this, I can probably
just do that in /etc/rc.local.  But that's awfully hacky.