Re: Installing firmware not available in the kernel

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:25:51 +1000, yudi v wrote:

>> The card seems detected so why not installing the suggested firmware
>> (review the mentioned doc for instructions on how to do this) and check
>> if that works? :-?
>>

>> I am not sure how to do this.

There has to be some instructions in the docs... let me check it.

(...)

/Documentation/dvb/README.dvb-usb

***
1. How to use?
1.1. Firmware

Most of the USB drivers need to download a firmware to the device before
start working.

Have a look at the Wikipage for the DVB-USB-drivers to find out, which
firmware you need for your device:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB
***

And we follow that link we can see it explained ("Firmware" section)
which seems to be just a copy/paste of the blob into "/lib/firmware
folder".

> should I just copy dvb-usb-af9015.fw to
> /lib/firmware

Yep, so it seems and afterwards, re-connect the card.

> Or should I install kernel 2.6.34?

I would try first with the firmware... who knows, maybe it works without
much headache :-)

> To install Kernel 2.6.34 or higher, I believe I need to enable
> backports.

Yep, and is not a task I would recommend to people with no experience in
linux. And don't take me wrong, I'm using linux since 8 years and I'm
still very reluctant to update/install a new kernel :-P

> I plan to install nvidia's driver and I had a problem before where every
> time after a kernel update (this was under Ubuntu), nvidia driver would
> break. I don't want to be in the same situation again.

That's the sort of things I meant... things can break and you have to
know what to do and how to restore them. So before messing up your
system, you can check if the card works from a LiveCD that has an updated
kernel (≥2.6.34).

> Once I setup the system I don't want to spend too much time fixing it.
> Whats the best option under this situation?

In order of (my) preference:

1. First, try with the firmware
2. If it does not work, test with a LiveCD

And based on the results you get, you can take whatever action you prefer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón