Re: autoinstalled packages

On 13/08/11 02:13, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2011-08-12 17:25 +0200, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

Sven Joachim<svenjoac@gmx.de>  writes:

  >  "aptitude unmarkauto isc-dhcp-client" does the trick.

	I guess that # apt-get install isc-dhcp-client may do the same
	(provided that there's no newer version of the package in the
	repositories.)

With a new enough apt, probably.  But not in Squeeze, I think.  See
http://bugs.debian.org/612557.

That bug is closed for Squeeze. Did I miss your meaning?

	Also there's the APT::Get::AutomaticRemove option, which, if set
	to false, I expect to prevent APT from removing the
	automatically installed packages.

Well, apt-get and aptitude have different configuration keys and default
values for them (apt-get defaults to not autoremove unused packages).
That's a bit unfortunate, but since aptitude had always defaulted to
autoremove unused packages and apt versions before 0.7 could not even
mark packages as automatically installed, this is understandable.

	However, what I'm interested in right now, is how do I access
	the list of autoinstalled packages with plain APT or dpkg(1)?

With apt, use "apt-mark showauto".  With dpkg it's not possible since
dpkg does not know about autoinstalled packages.

Sven

If apt-mark showauto worked as expected I'd be unable to remove any of the packages it lists without losing my entire DE... admittedly I didn't test the whole list - by the time I got to bzip2 it was pretty obvious something was wrong as not one package I simulated removal of, would go quietly - nor are they packages I can do without (sigh):-
root@work:/home/scott# apt-mark showauto | more
aacplusenc
advancecomp
akonadi-server
akregator
amarok-common
amarok-utils
ark
aspell
aspell-en
automoc
autopoint
binutils
blt
bzip2

eg.:-
root@work:/home/scott# apt-get -s remove bzip2 | more
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
alien build-essential bzip2 cdbs checkinstall debhelper dpkg-dev googleearth
  googleearth-package lsb-core

I'll have another read of the documentation tomorrow. Thanks for pointing out apt-mark to me, but pity it doesn't seem to work the way I'd hoped.

Cheers

--
“This needs to be said: there never was a war. "How can you say that, Bill?" Well, a war is when two armies are fighting. So you can see, right there, there never was a war … People say to me, "Hey, Bill, the war made us feel better about ourselves." Really? What kind of people are these with such low self-esteem that they need a war to feel better about themselves? May I suggest, instead of a war to feel better about yourself, perhaps … sit-ups? Maybe a fruit cup? Eight glasses of water a day?”
~ Bill Hicks