Re: ..FPV glasses?, was: Problem with USB storage device - video glasses

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 21:47:55 +0200
From: Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: ..FPV glasses?, was: Problem with USB storage device - video glasses

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:50:12 +0800 (WST), Bret wrote in message
<[🔎] alpine.DEB.1.10.1108100040570.5716@bretnewworkstation.busby.net>:

Hello.

I have a pair of video glasses, that apparently, include 8GB of
storage.

..link?  (I'm an RC modeler looking for FPV etc glasses,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Person_View )

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/c3eb/

The glasses on that web page, now, may be a later model than what I have (I bought mine, about 18 months ago, and used them for the first time, this week).

Mine cost about 100USD (something like 99.95USD, but, close enough to 100USD), and the video resolution specified in the instruction manual for mine, is VGA (640x480), compared with the 960x720 as specified on that web page.

Also, whilst that web page and the instruction manual for my set, state that the battery charge life for recording video, is about 90 minutes, the battery charge life appears to be only about an hour (60 minutes, plus or minus about 5 minutes).

I have found a couple of problems with my set (apart from the issue of the storage device not automounting, and, from the instruction manual, it should automatically mount), one of which, is that, with the camera being on the left arm of the frame, rather than centralised to capture close to what the user sees, a degree of parallax error occurs, and the earplugs, which are required to be inserted when using the video camera (to hear the messages such as the starting and stopping of the recording), are too big.

The instruction manual and the box that the product is supplied in, do not have any information of the manufacturer of the product, so I could not advise of the problems to the manufacturer, so I advised of each of the problems encountered to the supplier. I am waiting for a response from the supplier.

You might also be interested in http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/c7b4/ (that that web page shows to be discontinued) and, from memory, ThinkGeek had advertised a remote control helicopter that could record video. I could not find it on the ThinkGeek web site so, after about half an hour's searching, I found the web page at http://www.gadgetfind.com/hoverspyrchelicopter.html , which has the hypertext link ( the word "here", in "Check out this spy helicopter here..."), which points to http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/e34f/?cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CID=1869081 , which appears to not include the particular helicopter, so, maybe, ThinkGeek no longer supply it.

ThinkGeek also have the video recording swim mask, at http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travel-outdoors/dc37/ , that appears to have the camera better located than on my video sunglasses, as, where it is located on that mask, it should reduce parallax error.

I am not an agent for Thinkgeek; only a customer of ThinkGeek.

I hope that the information above, is helpful to you.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."