Re: Xfce4 becomes unresponsive after a period of rest

On Mon 08 Aug 2011 at 09:47:56 +0100, AG wrote:

> In terms of power management settings, the computer is regarded as idle
> after 20 minutes which leads to the screen blanking out, and the display
> is put to sleep after 30 minutes.  The computer is never "put to sleep".
> This is the same as when I use Gnome, and although Gnome may be a memory
> hog at times, at least when the display is reactivated, everything works.

apt-get purge xfce4-power-manager

and

rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml

Leave off using the machine for a few hours (I'm not convinced the
overnight aspect is of importance). Test. The screen should go blank
after a while anyway. Or if it's a laptop, close its lid.

Reinstall xfce4-power-manager and resist the temptation to alter its
default settings. Test. I'd think letting the screen go to sleep would
be a sufficient length of time to wait.