Re: Setting up dhcp-server on my desktop machine

On Sun 07 Aug 2011 at 14:17:03 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> > For your own sanity you probably want to add 'auto eth0' in addition
> > to the 'allow-hotplug eth0' line.
>
> Replace "allow-hotpug eth0" with "auto eth0". Don't just add it.

Why? Not that I'm advocating it in every network situation but what harm
does it do in this case?

> > Deprecated because things have moved to an event driven hotplug system
> > instead.  But both can co-exist for a while longer if you add the auto
> > line.  But in the future get used to interfaces being completely
> > dynamic.  This topic gets discussion here in the mailing list
> > regularly.
>
> The "hotplug" business is unstable and inappropriate for servers.

Why is the process unstable? Is it something inherent in udev or its
scripts?

> > auto eth1
> > allow-hotplug eth1 # to my ISP
> >        iface eth1 inet dhcp
> >
> > Then bring the interface up with ifup.
>
> See my note above. There is no *point* to allow-hotplug for a desktop
> or server system.

Rather a strong statement but maybe it can be sustantiated. From my
point of view allow-hotplug gives faster booting and facilitates
switching between wired and wireless connections easily and quickly.