Re: Problems ejecting cd.

On 06/08/11 19:02, Chris Brennan wrote:
On 8/6/2011 12:47 PM, R. Clayton wrote:
I'm running debian testing updated weekly.  Every once in a while I manage to
wedge the cd drive such that I can no longer eject it:

   $ sudo umount /dev/scd1
   umount: /dev/scd1: not mounted

   $ eject /dev/scd1
   eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

   $ sudo eject /dev/scd1
   eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

   $ eject -v /dev/scd1
   eject: device name is `/dev/scd1'
   eject: expanded name is `/dev/scd1'
   eject: `/dev/scd1' is a link to `/dev/sr1'
   eject: `/dev/sr1' is not mounted
   eject: `/dev/sr1' is not a mount point
   eject: `/dev/sr1' is not a multipartition device
   eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using CD-ROM eject command
   eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
   eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using SCSI commands
   eject: SCSI eject failed
   eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using floppy eject command
   eject: floppy eject command failed
   eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr1' using tape offline command
   eject: tape offline command failed
   eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

   $ ls -l /dev/s{cd,r}1
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      3 Aug  5 18:09 /dev/scd1 ->  sr1
   brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 1 Aug  5 18:09 /dev/sr1

   $ groups
   rclayton dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev bluetooth netdev

   $

The drive's wedged so tightly that it doesn't respond to the button on the
cd-tray drawer (it does, however, respond to the paper clip, but that fixes
neither the eject command nor the drawer button).  This usually happens after I
have some mishaps mounting and unmounting the drive.  I can recover the drive
by rebooting, but what, if anything, can I do short of rebooting to recover the
drive?

 From a mechanical point of view, this sounds like a bad servo or
actuator motor in the drive. Is it old? New? Is the drive sluggish to
eject the drive, does it feel stiff, like something might be grinding on
the tray itself? Do you have kids that like to hide small things in
really neat new places?

Hmm, I've recently noticed one of my DVD drives giving the same eject message, but ejecting shortly afterwards. It isn't a new drive, but seems to work apart from the message.

I haven't tried "eject -v" yet. I'll try that next time I use it and report the results.

--
Dom