Re: thunderbird (how to set which application to use which file)

On 05/08/11 20:19, Camaleón wrote:
El 2011-08-05 a las 21:16 +0200, Matej Kosik escribió:

(resending to the list)

On 08/05/2011 08:57 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:00:14 +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:

How can I tell Icedove which application it should use to open *.pdf
files, when they are attached to an e-mail and user decides to open
them?

(...)

In GNOME, it uses the default for the DE/WM. In my case, that's an Evince
task. What's your DE/WM?

This is my parents' computer.

GNOME seems to be configured correctly, because when PDF files are on the desktop, when I click them, they are opened in evince. This is correct.

However, when they to open pdf file attached to an email (theirs MTA is Icedove), I am only asked to determine the directory where they are supposed to be saved, instead of opening them in evince.

I would like to reconfigure Icedove so that PDF files are opened by evince. I just failed to figure out how to do that. Maybe they gave wrong answers in some dialog boxes, when they appeared; I do not know.

That's weird. I get a prompt asking me what to do with a PDF file (open
  with default app or save it) and I'm also running GNOME :-?

I would first start by reading Thunderbird's KB article on this issue,
maybe you can find something that helps you with your problem:

Actions for attachment file types
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_attachment_file_types

Greetings,

Hi,

When I open my Thunderbird Edit/Preferences/Attachements I get a list of filetypes and, on the right-hand side of .pdf, I get a selection box that allows me to select Always Ask, Save File, Use Image Viewer, Use Gnome-open, Use Acroread, ...

If I choose "Use Gnome-Open", it uses the Gnome default application to open the .pdf attachment, Acroread in my case.

Just my two-cents, I hope it helps.

Rgds,
jss