thunderbird (how to set which application to use which file)

Hello,

How can I tell Icedove which application it should use to open *.pdf files, when they are attached to an e-mail and user decides to open them?

<STATUS QUO>
At the moment, Icedove offers only the possibily to safe PDF files but in the current state, it does not try to open them directly or does not ask which application it should use to open them.

The "menu / edit / preferences / attachments" dialog box shows current associations but I am unable add an entry for PDFs there. This is weird. Is there a different place where this can be defined?
</STATUS QUO>

Thanks in advance for the help.