Re: Intrusion Statistics

On Aug 5, 2011 12:50 PM, "Walter Hurry" <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:31:37 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> > imo, meaningless
>
> Of that I have little doubt. As I said, I was just curious.
>
> By the way, my router is just a cheap home DLink unit, not anything
> running any special software. So I don't set the "rules" - just tell it
> as part of the normal configuration whether or not to acknowledge ICMP
> packets, what ports to forward, what to do with the logs and so forth.

I assumed that, yes. However, vyatta is free. Or, as long as you can get a box to see the packets (you can set your device as a bridge or buy a card or a bridge with the functionality to use with your isp) you can setup snort on your end and have a bit more control of ... everything.

I'm not saying that this is a route everyone should take. However, if you're that interested in what's hitting you, its an option - and a free / cheap one at that.