Re: thread issue

On 8/4/2011 9:15 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:

> Other applications do need to support multi threading in most cases
> already inside source code.

Very few FOSS Linux applications are written with threads.  Those
needing it simply fork processes to achieve multiprocessor scalability.
 I've not done a study, but I'd make an educated guess that of the 20K+
packages shipped with Debian GNU/Linux, less than 100 use threads.
Those written with threads tend to be image processing applications and
simulation programs.  The Linux kernel itself is the most highly
threaded "program" in the ecosystem by many orders of magnitude.  The
kernel makes very heavy use of threads.  This is why it scales fairly
linearly to 2560+ processors.
(http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/uv/)

--
Stan