wallpaper desktop files on Debian [was restoring MBR]

Quite right, I know what you mean, sorry.

BTW regarding wallpapers on Debian, I find it interesting and I'd love
to express my opinion here.

Sorry for changing the topic.

My systems runs under 1GHz of processor speed.
Since Lenny GNOME adopted new SVG format used for desktop icons also for
wallpapers.

On Lenny moreblue-orbit-wallpaper.svg default wallpaper took on my
system (just under 1GHz) some 15-20 secs to draw. I had to change it to
use PNG instead by

$ /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display desktop-background
update-alternatives
--install /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background
desktop-background /usr/share/images/desktop-base/moreblue-orbit-wallpaper.png 65

While displaying PNG wallpaper on my system is instantaneous.

On Squeeze SVG wallpapers are also used, but there are no PNG
alternatives present for them as in Lenny, so I had to even create PNG
files by myself, then

$ update-alternatives
--install /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background
desktop-background /usr/share/images/desktop-base/spacefun-wallpaper.png
65

I had to apply a similar trick to GDM3 desktop wallpaper in Squeeze as
well.

Not sure I quite comprehend SVG benefits. For icons definitely YES, one
icon for all regardless of DPI and size, it can stretch. Given icon size
it does not impose a performance issue. On Etch (non SVG icon files)
there had to be several sets of the same icon, differing in size and
DPI.

For wallpapers in SVG I have slowdown in boot. I'd very much prefer PNG
alternatives for slower machines (< 1GHz) as far as wallpapers are
concerned.

Many thanks

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>