Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1449, resp. Re: restoring MBR and 2.6.39-amd64 lvm-based root: fails to boot

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: restoring MBR
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:06:14 +0000 (UTC)

Very important is "overnight cron jobs"! From time to time I backup my MBR manually, btw. also using dd and adding the date to the file name, but before I restore an MBR from an backup I try to see how software guess the partition table should be restored.

Since this list allows HTML, we should use it, instead of using cryptic lines including the backslash :p. The spams use HTML, but we don't :(. I suspect the original script is without backslashes. And btw. there're additionally some cryptic thingies that are not needed to explain how to use dd to backup and restore a MBR using dd. "$DST", ">> $LOG 2>&1" :D. Ok, I didn't read the whole thread, but some people might use Google to find help and they also won't read the whole thread.

email message attachment