Re: picture import from camera - gthumb

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 20:54 +0200, Facundo Aguirre wrote:
> Hi, to import pictures from a digital camera you can try gtkam.
>
> Greetings,
>

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 08:35:52PM +0200, Tomas Kral wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > How do I import pictures from a digital camera on Squeeze?
> >
> > On Lenny I installed gthumb application that was called by
> > gnome-volume-manager when a camera was plugged in to a USB slot.
> >
> > When I try to install gthumb on Squeeze it insists on removing the whole
> > gnome-desktop.
> >
> > Is there a replacement app to gthumb, that I could set to handle the
> > picture import?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>

I tried gtkam, not bad, but gthumb in my opinion worked along with gnome
better.

When I plug a camera in, a gnome dialog appears asking which application
to use to handle the digital picture import.

gtkam is not recognised by this gnome camera detection dialog and it
does not seem to handle nokia78 well.

I also tried f-spot which gnome recognises, but this one takes up a lot
of resources, and then it quits, leaving no import done.

Not sure, is there any other?

Of course, as a last resort, I could always mount camera as a file
system, and pick the pictures manually.

P.S. Why is it that so many working features of Lenny are not present in
Squeeze?

Many thanks

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>