Re: restoring MBR

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 03:38:14PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > I've installed Squeeze to a USB drive, and grub2 installed itself to the
> > internal hard drive.
>
> Curious. I've never had that problem when installing Squeeze to a USB
> drive. Can you boot from the USB drive?

IIRC, no.

> > Now I can't boot from the internal drive since it
> > has encryption software checking some sort of CRC of the MBR. Is the
> > backup of the MBR available somewhere in the Linux rootfs?
>
> No.

That's a pity. IIRC, lilo used to save that under /boot.

> But it "sounds" like the problem "might" be your BIOS. Have a look and
> see if you have some sort of boot record protection in the BIOS and turn
> it off.

If it were in place, I wouldn't have the problem -- it would have
protected the internal drive's MBR.

> Please provide some information about the OS/s installed on your
> internal HDD/s and the messages you get when you boot.

It's Windows XP with Sophos Safe Guard Easy. I added the Windows
partition to grub2. It seems to load the partition boot sector. After
that it should have asked the filesystem password. But it says that MBR
checksum is not correct and refuses to continue.

> Also check the boot order in your BIOS.

IIRC, it didn't boot from the USB drive, so I switched to the internal
drive.

> P.S. Don't stress - most likely this is easily fixed.

I would be happy to know a way to restore the MBR (or, in general, boot
Windows) without having to reinstall it.

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov
http://www.kz-easy.com/