Re: restoring MBR

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 22:10:50 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 29 Jul 2011 at 13:28:48 +0200, Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote:
>
> > I've installed Squeeze to a USB drive, and grub2 installed itself
> > to the internal hard drive. Now I can't boot from the internal
> > drive since it has encryption software checking some sort of CRC of
> > the MBR. Is the backup of the MBR available somewhere in the Linux
> > rootfs?
>
> There is no backup of the MBR made. You're rather expected to do your
> own.

As a matter of general principle, certainly. But when software
undertakes to edit or obliterate potentially shared data such as the MBR
or partition table, it had better be very sure it knows what it is
doing, and in the absence of 100% certainty, should retain a backup.
Crippling a previously existing OS is poor practice, and will give rise
to comment.

Yes, I know Windows does, but we're talking proper software here.

--
Joe