Re: tomld: fully automatic MAC configuration solution

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:11:57 -0400
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Horvath Andras <han@log69.com> wrote:
> > Dear Members,
> >
> > I'd like to announce the availability of the first beta release of
> > my tomld project.
> >
> > This is a deamon managing fully automatic MAC configuration without
> > any user interaction.
> >
> > (supported platforms are: Debian 6 and up, Ubuntu 10.10 and up)
> >
> > My site:
> > http://log69.com/tomld_en.html
>
> This website is *REALLY* hard to read on a normal screen. Can I
> suggest that you reset that font size and color not to be light gray
> text on a white background.
>
> I also really, really wish the Tomoyo project had not chosen MAC to
> mean "Mandatory Access Control" rather than the more typical "Media
> Access Control" or MAC address associated with Ethernet devices for
> the last few decades. It was quite confusing when I read your site and
> had not dealt with Tomoyo previously.
>
> But good luck with this. Not having used Tomoyo, how does it compare
> in usefulness against security threats, and abillity to completely
> mess you up at an awkward moment, with SELinux?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll change the text on my site and also add
more explanation about this project.

Tomoyo is not as secure as SELinux (it's written in their docs), but
way more easier to set up and use in my opinion. Because it deals with
file paths, the rules are easy to read. But i still think it's too time
consuming and hard to manage and update several thousands of rules all
the time. That's why i created my project.