Re: help to choose right printer to buy

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:04:08 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:52:20PM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy one of these B/W Laser printers:
>>
>> Samsung ML-2855ND or Brother HL-2270DW.
>>
>> I have no personal experience with printers of these manufacturers and
>> have no idea how good their drivers/support are.
>
> Check them in the printer database which may be found here:
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting

Well, both of them listed as Perfectly Working, but submitted by user and
not verified. The OS/distro and its version is not indicated. I've tried
to use Download .ppd file link. It failed with "servers error" several
times.

It wasn't much in help, I'd say.

> As a rule of thumb, I would advise against buying a printer which does
> not support native printing of PostScript, PDF or PCL.

Brother HL-2270DW - PCL6
Samsung ML-2855ND - PostScript3, PCL6, and PCL5e.

>  These are
> guaranteed to work, and work well, without the need for special
> vendor-specific drivers (you might need a PPD file to enable device-
> specific features like duplexing and the like, but that's it)

Samsung provides an executable installer but I read a .ppd file is
burried
deeply but can be extracted.

Brother I'm not sure, yet

> I've had good experiences with HP LaserJets

I cannot stand HP. :-( I just do not like neither company nor their
printers.

> and currently have a Kyocera FS-C5025N which does native IPP to talk to
> CUPS.

I'll look at it, if it would be available at my place.

Thanks for sharing.