Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM, thuilliercharmet <news@illogal.net> wrote:
> " not sure that your minority will be part of my "global" diversity ..... "
> franckly and directly.
>
> With my best that i can at the moment because i have the same problem
> than you : no dvd reader (means i am limited in choice OR nobody give me
> a gratis dvd reader) !
> mr thuillier-charmet

check the installation media and booting parts of the installation
manual to see which method fits u the best.

for usb stick booting and installing, it's a one-liner as documented
in the manual[1]
run the command below with root permission.

$cat /path/to/your/debian-stable-amd64-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdX

replace /dev/sdX with the path to ur usb device.
make sure that u backup the whole disk, since the partition table will
be overwritten.

if u don't feel comfortable with `cat', use

$dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdX

btw, if u already have *nix installed on the target machine, no
external media is required for installing debian.
fetch the iso file and Grub/Lilo boot files, add the menu entry for ur
bootloader, reboot and you'll see the debian installation interface.
see the manual[2] for details.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd

Cheers,