Re: limiting email sizes when sending files

Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> lee wrote:
>> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:
>>> 100M logfiles via email is way too unreasonable.
>>
>> Do you have any arguments or a solution?
>
> A 10MB logfile isn't that insignificant, if you need access to larger
> log files, then you would be far better off having more direct access
> via other means [ssh login perhaps].

This isn't about having access to the files at all.  It's about keeping
them, and the best thing to do that is to send them to myself by email.

The times when a 10 or 100MB file was too large to fit on your hard disk
are long gone --- or are you still using hardware that old?

> The next thing you'll tell me is that your browser should be able to
> hold a 100MB logfile in a tab -- that is just crazy!

Huh? What else would I expect?

> How are you going to work with a 100MB logfile?  Chances are you will
> grep for particular things or summarize the logfile via a script of
> some kind to make the data useful and of a manageable size.

Eventually, yes --- and to be able to do that, I want to keep the
logfiles.  There's no problem with files that are several gigabytes in
size.  You can grep or view them just fine.

> How long it takes to get to a 100MB logfile is another issue.  If you
> aren't checking the logfile more regularly (one way or another),
> getting hit with a 100MB logfile is going to hurt in other ways.

You you would have to check the logfiles constantly to avoid surprises.
They can be written to pretty fast.  I don't want to spend all day
watching logfiles.  Running logrotate every minute or so isn't a good
solution, either.

> There is also the idea of using a syslog server that is more easily
> accessed where needed.

That can be a good idea when you want to access logfiles stored
remotely.  The ones I have, I just need them sent to me by email.

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855