Re: What are the 94 printable characters from the 128 characters of ASCII table?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:51:12AM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> >  > Hi Paul,
> >  > I am pretty sure you are mistaken,
> >
> >  > 126-32 = 94
> >
> > 	Let's try a simpler range: 32 to 32 is 1 character.  And 32 - 32
> > 	is, obviously, zero.  Doesn't it seem like an off-by-one error?
> >
> >  > and space is a printable character.
> >
> > 	Well, I don't have an opinion of my own, but here's what GNU
> > 	Libc thinks on the issue:
>
> This is unfortunately incorrect--it's just the GNU implementation of
> the standard, not the standard itself.  The answer is to be found in the
> ISO 2022 character set registry:
>
> http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/2-1.htm

However, in terms of LC_CTYPE printable and graphic characters are
only different in the classification of SPACE.  All characters
02/00 to 07/15 are "printable", hence the glibc check is correct, but
only characters 02/01 to 07/15 are "graphic" (as opposed to "control")
characters.  SPACE is technically outside the range of all designatable
94-character sets.

Regards,
Roger

--