Wine questions

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I am trying to get wine working on my system. I installed the latest wine-unstable (1.3.24) debs as well as winetricks, and have failed at not only games that are listed as gold on db.winehq.org (e.g. BattleZone and Dangerous Waters), but also games like the Starcraft II demo and the Age of Empires demo, which are automagically configured through winetools.

I'm wondering if it is not a result of the 32bit userland with a 64bit kernel issue I posted about the other day, but I though I would post to the list since the failure is so complete that I thought it may be something I was doing wrong. I plan to try on my laptop which is pure 64bit.

I did have crossover 9 working on this machine, and was able to get original Starcraft working on it, but it got long in the tooth and I didn't upgrade to 10 before it would have cost me full price.

Anyone got any pointers or suggestions on getting wine working well in Debian?

Thanks,
--b