Re: [OT] BIOS Power On by PS/2 Keyboard

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:20:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

APM configuration has an item "Power On by PS/2 Keyboard" that I had set
to "space bar". But I was getting errors on my keyboard. So I bought a
new keyboard, which had exactly the same errors, so the problem was not
the keyboard.

So I disabled that feature.

Now what has me stumped is that even though "Power on by PS/2 Keyboard"
is disabled, I can still power on the system by hitting the space bar
twice. And it seems that the keyboard errors have disappeared.

Anyone venture an explanation?

You mean that although you have that option turned off in the BIOS you can still start your computer -from a cold state, not from suspension nor hibernation- when you hit the space bar? And just the space bar or any key?

It could be a BIOS problem, then. Have you contacted Asus for this?

I "always" during the last couple of months power off with 'acpitool -S'. BIOS Power on by PS/2 Keyboard is disabled. Then power is turned off on the system. Turn power back on, hit the space bar, and the system comes back up. Grub-legacy shows its menu and I select the partition that was running and that has 'resume=LABEL=6Y080P0.05'. That loads everything from the swap space and resumes.

I have not tried other keys, but next time around I will.

I have not asked Asus because I am afraid they will ask what version windows I have installed.

This mobo has a weird feature: you can select 'express gate' and get access to a linux O/S that gets you access to "the internet and skype". I have it disabled and never have tried that.

Hugo