Re: Debian on x86.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:56:57 +0400, stayvoid stayvoid wrote:

> My processor is x86.

Wow... that's very generic :-)

Processor brand and model?

64-bits capable processors are also x86.

> Which one should I download?
> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/debian-installer/

That would depend... how much memory do you have?

> My OS is Windows XP and I need to make a backup of my data, but I also
> want to use this data in the future (on Debian). Could you recommend me
> something? Are there any software solutions (not just copy and paste)?
> Windows-based ntbackup is not working in that way.

Windows backup utility is quite good. It allows normal, differential and
incremental backups, scheduled backups, etc... The only drawback is that
it uses a proprietary format and generated files can be only read by
windows systems.

In the past I used Areca Backup¹ (it's java based, it works on both,
windows and linux systems) and there is also Cobian² Backup for Windows,
which seems to be very popular for that OS.

But you can still access your windows data from Debian, so no need to
make a backup for that specific reason.

¹http://www.areca-backup.org/
²http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Greetings,