Re: 32bit vs 64bit

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Michael Checca <mchecca@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:14:48 -0400, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

To borrow your own phrase .... nuke and pave. Moving between
architectures is probably a very very bad idea :D (upgrade wise). While
not a guru, but a power user, this is something I would only attempt to
do in a VM and then, only to prove it can't be done. Sanely. But this is
just my $0.02 :D

I agree.Plus, you get a brand new Debian install :)

Agreed. But I am running sid anyway, so I'm already surfing the bleeding edge.

Before starting your fresh install, it would probably be a good idea to backup your /etc and /home dirs to cut down on the amount of re-configuring you need to do.

Yeah, I have a backuppc installation, so everything is already backed up...I am a little leery of dropping an old /etc onto a new install. I guess with sid it won't matter as much...

Also, use dpkg --get-selections and dpkg --set-selections to make sure you have the same packages installed.

I always do this, in fact, I keep a stable of package lists (workstation, laptop, wiki, firewall, etc) just for this specific purpose. Doing this, restoring /home and  cherry picking from /etc, I can usually replicate a box in a couple of hours.

I was just hoping for an undocumented way of doing it as an upgrade...

Thanks,
--b