Re: Computer Freezes - how to find out what happened?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:05:40 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I have just built myself a new computer (i5 2500 with Intel
Motherboard) and
> am getting a situation where the user interface freezes every so often.

Did you build the kernel yourself as well?

> What I am really looking for is some log I can look at that gives me a
> clue as to what went wrong.  At the moment I can find anything thing as
> to what the cause might have been

It happened to me some time back as well, and  when it freeze it freeze,
none of the logs helped me to trace down the culprit. My conclusion was
that it could happen any time, not related to any package/tool.

Only after I entirely wipe the whole OS and installed a brand new
upgraded one did the symptom stopped.

Maybe play with some other distro (eg Ubuntu live) and see if it happens
too. Thus to isolate HW out of the culprit.

my 2c.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/