Re: Computer Freezes - how to find out what happened?

On 20/07/11 11:07, lee wrote:
Alan Chandler<alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>  writes:

I have just built myself a new computer (i5 2500 with Intel
Motherboard) and am getting a situation where the user interface
freezes every so often.

I suspect it is more than just X freezing, because when that has

Take out the graphics card and put it back in.

Don't run X and let it sit, with something like tail -f /var/log/syslog
running on the console and see if it freezes.

Perhaps the mainboard is broken.

I did have an extra graphics card in the machine and took it out. Now the only graphics is the integrated graphics chipset (Intel Sandybridge H67).

I could try and run without X (I can do that by booting into recovery mode) - but I will have to wait until I am less busy.

What I am really looking for is some log I can look at that gives me a clue as to what went wrong. At the moment I can find anything thing as to what the cause might have been

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk