Re: Re: Can't get XVideo to work on squeeze

Walter Hurry wrote:
I suspected that the problem was the kernel modesetting, but when I tried with the nomodeset parameter it didn't seem to make a difference. Does this get nearer to identifying the issue? Thanks again.

You've cut away the loading cycle of libextmod.so - this does handle the extension loading incl. xv.

It should look like this:

(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource

Your chipset is AMD 780G, it's well covered by the squeeze xorg ati driver - you might run into problems with an unsucessfull deinstallation of fglrx (ati proprietary driver, if you previously installed that one) or if you still use a xorg.conf.

I suggest you keep KMS running if your system supports it.