Re: firewall?

On 7/19/11, Regid Ichira <regid23@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hadi motamedi <motamedi24 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I tried for 'iptables -S' but it returned 'unknown arg -S' . The
>> windows machine firewall is turned off. On the windows machine,
>> browsing like http://128.31.0.51 is successful .
>
>   The -S option is clearly mentioned in the manual page and the help text.
>   What about
>     iptables -nvL
>
> ? What firewall, if any, have you set on the debian machine?
>
>   On the Windows machine, what happens if you
>     telnet the_debian_machine 53
> ? I think you should see nothing, but no timeouts or connection refused
> either. And what about
>     telnet 8.8.8.8 53
> ?
>

> --

Dear All
With respect to your previous posts regarding the possibility of
blocking port 53, I searched in the list for similar cases and I found
the following cure :
- Add the following line to /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
Then issue:
#service iptables restart
I tried for it and now the windows machine can browse valid url . I
must mention that the problem could not be solved without your comment
on the possibility of blocking port 53.
Thank you very much again
Sincerely Yours