Re: Does Debian 6.0.2.1 for amd64 work properly ?

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM, C.T.F. Jansen
<frank.jansen@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Greetings,
>          Is Debian 6.0.2.1, or something more recent, for the amd64
> architecture OK ? It will be used to upgrade Debian 5.0.6 on an Asus PRO50G
> notebook. Thanks.

I can't say whether an "upgrade" install will be fine, but a clean
install of Debian 6 64bit has worked very well for me on 2 systems.

You will have the usual problems configuring devices and getting
suspend to work right, but most of that is not caused by the
difference between 32 and 64 bits.

The only problems I have not solved concern sound and multimedia, and
these are caused by the 32/64 bit difference.  It appears than any dvd
writing program that relies on 64 bit mencoder will produce bad sound.
 People have many bad things to say about the code inside mencoder and
they say it is a lost cause, nobody trying too hard to fix. That seems
to mean you should not try devede or 2mandvd to write video dvd.
However, the video dvd writing programs that rely on ffmpeg do not
seem to be in such bad trouble, and I had success with "dvdstyler".
Also have had success with "winff" which is a gui to use ffmpeg to
convert media from one format to another.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science