Re: Getting Rid of Cruft in /var/lib/dpkg/status

David Baron <d_baron <at> 012.net.il> writes:

> Get load of these on any dpkg/apt operation:
>
> dpkg-query: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 39750
> package 'libmal0':
>  missing architecture
> dpkg-query: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 40988
> package 'hwdata-knoppix':
>  missing architecture
>
> Not all of them are left over from the original Knoppix-3 installation.
>
> How do I clean this up short of hand editing 1000s of entries one by one?

  There could be a way to refresh the status file.  I am not
familiar with one.  You still might want to read dpkg man page,
or google for it.
  For start, you might want to have a list of the offending lines.
You can try grep, sed, or whatever textual tool you are familiar
with.  And you might divide and conquer: separate the grepping
for Knoppix left overs, and those that are not.