Re: Why /etc/init.d/.depend.start did not caught editing to /etc/insserv.conf?

Bob Proulx <bob <at> proulx.com> writes:

> Regid Ichira wrote:
> >   I have installed the ntp package.  I edited /etc/insserv.conf, and
> > added +ntp to the $time line.
> >
> >     $ grep time /etc/insserv.conf
> >     # The system time has been set correctly
> >     $time           +hwclock +ntp
>
> Why do you think this manual action is needed?  Why isn't simply
> installing the ntp package sufficient?

  I tried to avoid adding $all for my case. $all was suggested by myself,
in bts#634215: Having init.d/cron run early breaks the semantics of @reboot
time specification.

> Won't adding that line create a circular dependency loop between
> rsyslog and ntp?  rsyslog needs $time.  ntp needs $syslog.

  I tried that.  It was refused by insserv because of the circular loop.