Re: Why /etc/init.d/.depend.start did not caught editing to /etc/insserv.conf?

Regid Ichira wrote:
>   I have installed the ntp package.  I edited /etc/insserv.conf, and
> added +ntp to the $time line.
>
>     $ grep time /etc/insserv.conf
>     # The system time has been set correctly
>     $time           +hwclock +ntp

Why do you think this manual action is needed?  Why isn't simply
installing the ntp package sufficient?

In other words, I don't think the above is needed and I think that is
where you have gone astray from the path.  But I am happy to be
educated otherwise.

Won't adding that line create a circular dependency loop between
rsyslog and ntp?  rsyslog needs $time.  ntp needs $syslog.

> I then issued
>     dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc
> , expecting to have ntp added to the cron line of
> .etc/init.d/.depend.start.  Which is not the case:
>
>     $ grep ^cron /etc/init.d/.depend.start
>     cron: sysklogd bind9
>
> Where I am wrong?

Reconfiguring sysv-rc sets up sysv-rc.  You want to set up ntp.  So
instead of reconfiguring sysv-rc you should reconfigure ntp instead of
sysv-rc.  That will run the package ntp.postinst script and it will
set up the call to 'update-rc.d ntp' which will call insserv as
appropriate.

  # dpkg-reconfigure ntp

Bob