Re: Cannot mount floppies in Squeeze

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz> wrote:

> Yes, this one did the trick...
>
> tcat@lynx:~$ udisks --mount /dev/fd0
> Mounted /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/fd0 at /media/floppy0
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Is it possible to make mount aware of UDisks/devices/fd0 and the like?
>
> On my system, mount works on everything in /etc/fstab except
> floppy /dev/fd0 devices
>
> USB sticks (floppies) get mounted automatically by inserting them to an
> USB slot.
>
> Many thanks

May I recommend sidestepping this entirely? Mounted floppy drives have
*HORRIBLE* performance. The "mtools" toolkit is vastly more efficient
and safer, much less likely to corrupt a file in the midst of writing
it to the floppy and ejecting the file during the write, or requiring
a "sync" before hitting the eject button, and much more clear about
the fact that "cp" to a mounted floppy may not preserve ownership and
the file name the way you expect.