Re: Cannot mount floppies in Squeeze

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 06:22:40 -0400 (EDT), Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
> On 16/07/11 09:52, Tomas Kral wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Just found out I cannot mount floppies in Squeeze.
>> I am on uptodate x86 kernel,
>> linux-image-2.6.32-5-686  2.6.32-35
>>
>> $ su -c'mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0' # or
>> $ mount /floppy
>>
>> Puts out in messages ...
>> [ 8744.146621] FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT
>> filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
> This is just an information message. Don't worry about it.
>> But no floppy is really mounted
>
> I had a similar problem, which was caused by udisks-daemon.
> What was happening was that I mounted
> the floppy, and, almost immediately, udisks-daemon dismounted it.
> (I'm currently running Wheezy, but
> believe this was the case in Squeeze too).
>
> I'm sure there must be something I've overlooked,
> but I ended up stopping the daemon when I wanted
> to use a floppy, and restarting it again afterwards.

Merely inserting a floppy disk in the floppy drive may cause
an auto-mount of the floppy disk, but not necessarily where
you want it mounted.  After inserting the floppy disk in the
floppy drive, wait a few seconds, then issue the "mount" command
with no operands to see if and where it was mounted.  If it is not
mounted, use the udisks command to mount the floppy, instead of the
regular mount command.  Issue "man udisks" for more information.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :