Re: Cannot mount floppies in Squeeze

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 04:58:27 -0400 (EDT), Tomas Kral wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 15:40 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Issue "man udisks" for more information.
>
> Yes, this one did the trick...
>
> tcat@lynx:~$ udisks --mount /dev/fd0
> Mounted /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/fd0 at /media/floppy0
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Is it possible to make mount aware of UDisks/devices/fd0 and the like?

Remember, "mount" was here first,
and "udisks" is a recent thing.  Under the covers, udisks is no doubt
calling mount.  The problem arose because makers of graphical
desktop environments, such as GNOME, wanted devices to mount
automatically, "just like Windows".  So they came up with this
udisks daemon to try to emulate Windows behavior.  And the udisks
daemon causes problems for those who are used to doing manual mounts
with the Linux mount command.  I'm reasonably sure that the attitude
of the people who support the mount and umount commands will be,
"Hey, our stuff works as designed, just as it always did.  The
udisks people broke it, and the udisks people should fix it."

The udisks daemon and the udisks command do provide useful function,
but not in a totally forward-compatible way.  Sometimes they
interfere with stuff that used to work.  An example is apt-cdrom
and aptitude or apt-get when processing mountable media.  You
may be able to get the desired behavior by using the "--inhibit-polling"
option of the udisks command in a separate window to temporarily
disable polling by the udisks daemon while you run older software
that is incompatible with the udisks behavior.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :