Re: Virtually installing a virtual package?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 00:55:32 +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
>
>> Keeping it short, i want to install zabbix-frontend-php, which depends
>> on apache; or httpd. I installed nginx from source (and used
>> checkinstall a while back i think so) it's listed in the installed
>> packages but it didn't provide httpd. I can't install httpd because it's
>> a virtual package.
>>
>> So, how can i manually mark httpd as installed?
>
>Mmm... if you know what you are doing and you know that zabbix will work,
>why not installing the package by instructing apt-get/aptitude to do not
>care about dependecies just in this case?
>
>There has to be a switch for that or maybe a better way to achieve it
>without needing to lie the whole apt database about apache real status :-?

You might want to have a look at equivs, which basically creates
dummy packages to fulfil dependencies.

See http://eric.lubow.org/2010/system-administration/creating-dummy-packages-on-debian/
or the included documentation for instructions.

Best regards,

Claudius

--
He who hesitates is sometimes saved.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4