Re: Cannot mount floppies in Squeeze

On 16/07/11 09:52, Tomas Kral wrote:
Hello list,

Just found out I cannot mount floppies in Squeeze.
I am on uptodate x86 kernel,
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686  2.6.32-35

$ su -c'mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0' # or
$ mount /floppy

Puts out in messages ...
[ 8744.146621] FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT
filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
This is just an information message. Don't worry about it.

But no floppy is really mounted

Is there a floppy support in 2.6.32-5-686 at all?
In /boot/config-2.6.32-5-686
There is no floppy module set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m

Yes, there is. Floppy drives are not (normally) IDE devices.
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m

Try "lsmod | grep floppy" to see if the floppy module is loaded. I suspect it is.

I had a similar problem, which was caused by udisks-daemon. What was happening was that I mounted the floppy, and, almost immediately, udisks-daemon dismounted it. (I'm currently running Wheezy, but believe this was the case in Squeeze too).

I'm sure there must be something I've overlooked, but I ended up stopping the daemon when I wanted to use a floppy, and restarting it again afterwards.

Also noticed kernel boots with SCSI devices
/dev/sda.. /dev/sr..
But my hardware is IDE/ATAPI based.

Yes, the kernel drivers now treat most PATA/IDE controllers as SCSI now. Only really old systems will need the legacy IDE drivers.

How do I enable IDE on Squeeze?
If your system is working ok with the SCSI devices, don't bother.

I've had to build a custom kernel for some of my old systems that *need* IDE support.

Regards
Dom