Re: Tesseract...

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:01:59 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>> How do You see which package belongs to which repo?
>>
>>What do you mean? Please, expand that a bit :-)
>
> I meant that if surfing through http/ftp directories of several repos
> like testing and stable, then all the packages are mixed - You do not
> know from the dir.s architecture which package belongs to which repo in
> the case.

Hum... not in Debian and many other distributions, look:

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tesseract/

Individual .deb files display package architecture and version.

>>> - Do You install all the repos on Your computer?
>>
>>Hum... I'm not sure what repos are you referring to (backports, Ubuntu
>>launchpad...)?
>
> No, Debian repos: stable, backports, testing, sid...

Ah, then no.

In my computers I only have defined "main/contrib/non-free" the "update"
repo and in servers I also add "volatile" (or the new one that replaces
it), but no more. Should I need anything else coming from a third-party
repo I would manually add it, install whatever I need and afterwards,
remove it.

>>I would not mix Ubuntu packages into a Debian installation. Have you
>>considered in compiling the apckage from Tesseract site?
>
> I thought to install Ubuntu in KVM and go on in case no luck w/
> tesseract 3 in Debian.

Did you try to compile tesseract for your Debian version? You can do that
on the virtual machine, just to see how it goes :-?

>>Ah, I've seen that you already posted into backports mailing list. Yes,
>>you may ask to Tesseract Debian package maintainers for an update to the
>>3.x branch so it can be then backported. The only problem I see here (as
>>I already said) is that backporting to the new version will render
>>unusable the old files ;-(
>
> Who needs old files when new arrive? :)

Well, it can be years of work that now cannot render with the new
version... you will get very angry birds (oops... sorry, I mean "users",
angry users) if you update the package to the last version that is not
backwards compatible :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón