Re: Problem with fonts in console Squeeze

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 05:52:37PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:42:15 -0400, rir wrote:
>
> > Is there a 40x16 font that I could get console-setup could use?
> >
> > Or is there a better way to get Squeeze to display 25 lines by 80
> > columns utilizing the entire screen at 1280x1024?
>
> (...)
>
> Check out this:
>
> I want my 25x80 back (w/o disabling X)
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65384

Thanks.  That poster, wje_debianforums, presumably has a 1024x768
screen as 80x25 times a 24x12 font is  960x600.

I'm achieving similar results but I guess I'm fussier.
The largest font I find is 32x16 which leaves about 20% of the screen
unused at the bottom.  I find the unused bottom disconcerting because
I expect "another line" rather than scrolling.

A similar machine, that got upgraded from Lenny, did not convert to
framebuffers and so works fine.  I don't object to disabling KMS but
I don't know how.  I do like framebuffers as it is a smoother,
faster switch between VTs and X.  Also framebuffers seem to be the
Debian way and I maintain enough machines to not want to resist
little implementation  issues.

The threads I've seen on this problem are all murky.  I'm surprised
that there is not more complaints--either there are fewer console users
than I thought or I'm denser than most of them.

Rob
--
Rob Ransbottom
rir@general-supply.com