Safest way to upgrade Sid after long interval?

I have a computer running Sid which has not been upgraded for a year (it
lives abroad). Note: I use apt-get (actually wajig) for this so no
suggestions about aptitude please.)

I would like to bring it up to date but am worried that I might end up
with an unusable system. I have got the (obviously huge) list of
upgrades. I think it should be safe to do 'upgrade' but for dist-upgrade
perhaps it should be done piecemeal afterwards, for reasons both of time
and safety.

Has anyone any experience of doing something like this? Best way to go
about things?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk