Re: IPv6 and DNS

Hello,

peter@chubb.wattle.id.au a écrit :

> This is the killer for me.  I want to be able to plug something into
> the network (usually an embedded board, with no console), and then be
> able to ssh to it by name. [...]
>
> With stateless configuration, there is no log of what is assigned, and
> there is no way for an authoritative agent (i.e., dhcpd for IPV4) to update
> the DNS tables.  And the IPv6 security extensions mean that one cannot
> predict the IPV6 address from the known MAC address.

*Privacy* extensions, not security. AFAIK, privacy extensions just
provide options for SLAAC to create extra IPv6 addresses not based on
the MAC address and use them as default source address for outgoing
communications. The IPv6 address based on the MAC address still exists
and is usable for incoming - and outgoing - connections.

> In fact, there's
> no straightfoward way to tell that something's plugged into the
> network and is now addressable.

DHCP isn't reliable either. The device could have been unplugged at any
time since the last lease.