Re: IPv6 and DNS

Laurence Hurst (L.A.Hurst@lboro.ac.uk on 2011-07-12 11:54 +0100):
> Hi folks,
>
> I notice a couple of other IPv6 related questions on this list so I
> hope this isn't too far of topic...
[..]

> I am curious, if I wanted to translate my IPv4 configuration into an
> IPv6 world;
As of this moment, it is not recommended to run IPv6-only networks,
dual-stack is preferred. Not in the least because most of the Internet
is not yet reachable over v6 (sadly...). The best way to go forward is
to get IPv6 running in basic mode first (autoconfiguration), and then
start moving more services on IPv6 once you feel confident -- but take
a *good* look at firewalling rules before you do so.

>   * I know there's a lot of talk about IPv6's wonderful
> auto-configuration eliminating the need for DHCP but how does this
> work with a static DNS setup?
It can work in multiple ways:
- keep your static DNS setup on IPv4 only
- configure your servers with static IPv6 addresses (as v4)
- configure your DHCPv6 server with static leases (as v4)

It is worth pointing out that IPv6 has no problems with multiple
addresses for the same device, so you can assign static addresses and
use autoconfiguration at the same time.

>   * Would I need to use DHCP6 and DNS, or auto-configuration and
> allow dynamic DNS updating (assuming IPv6's router discovery allows
> the clients to discover and update the DNS themselves)?
You don't *need* anything as long as your IPv4 network is still
operational.

>   * Would I have to trust the clients to update their own DNS records
> (I don't at the moment)?
I'm not sure if there is a spec yet for Dynamic DNS Updates for IPv6.
Heck, the v4 version has not even been formalized yet.

>   * In the DHCP-less world, how would clients "discover" the local
> DNS suffix (e.g. (fictitous) "internal.home.my.tld")?
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6106

caveat: I don't know how good tool support for this standard is. For
example, Router Advertisements are handled by the kernel directly but
the kernel does not write to /etc/resolv.conf.

Regards,
Arno