Re: hearse configuration problem

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Yes, I'm a member of the games group.

I realize that you must have set yourself up as a member of the games
group as part of your effort to fix the problem with the games.  But
normally people are not a member of the games group.  Instead the
normal configuration is that programs that need access to the games
group are themselves set-gid to the games group.  For example all of
the nethack binaries will be set-gid enabling that program to access
the protected game files.

> Also at the time this error happened /var/games/nethack/bones did
> exist and it had a bones file in it from the server.

And by your report they existed with corrupted permissions which is
what is creating your problems.

> Something else I've learned and filed a bug on this one, nethack
> does not do a proper purge when aptitude remove --purge
> nethack-common gets run nor do nethack-console.  I had the
> nethackdir removed from my system but /etc/nethack and
> /var/games/nethack and all of the startup scripts were left intact
> after that purge command and that oughtn't have happened.

Yes, I would consider that a bug too.  But when I installed
nethack-console, which pulled in nethack-common as a shared dependency
among all of the different nethack variants, and then purged the same
two I could not recreate the problem.

Installed:

  # apt-get install nethack-console
  # ls /var/games
  bsdgames  nethack

And then removed:

  # apt-get purge nethack-common nethack-console
  # ls /var/games
  bsdgames

Worked for me.  So I don't think it is actually a bug in the package
but rather something about your particular system.  But I didn't have
any saved games files either.  It is likely that the purge won't
remove the directory if it contains saved user files in it.  That
would be considered a feature because it is user data not program
data.

Perhaps you only purged nethack-console (or other frontend) and didn't
purge nethack-common which actually held the files?

Bob