Re: Debian base system snapshot available?

Herb Miller Jr. wrote:
> Where can I find a snapshot of the Debian base system to facilitate
> deployment in a chrooted environment? Is such a thing available?

Normally you would make your own using debootstrap or cdebootstrap.

  $ sudo apt-get install debootstrap
  $ sudo debootstrap squeeze my-chroot-dir-name

I often use --download-only to make a base snapshot with everything
downloaded already so that I can more quickly create pristine
chroots.  I often use --arch i386 so as to create 32-bit chroots on my
64-bit system.

In the chroot I usually create a ./usr/sbin/policy-rc.d script
containing only "exit 101" as a script so that upgrades in the chroot
won't try to start services there.  In the chroot I usually create
./etc/debian_chroot with a unique name so that when I have
interactively chroot'd there I can use that in my shell's PS1 prompt
and be able to tell the shells apart.

Bob