Re: Want to build new Debian PC. Is IDE interface gone?

On 07/10/2011 03:33 PM, shawn wilson wrote:

On Jul 10, 2011 3:07 PM, "mark" <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for components for a new PC to install debian on.  I've
> been looking at motherboards (MSI & Gigabyte) and it seems that the
> IDE interface no longer exists.  Is no more IDE interface the new
> direction for PCs so that I will have to buy a SATA burner?

I agree with the other posters - buy a new burner. I wouldn't limit my mb choices like that just to save ~$40 on a new drive. I did this a few years back and the drive stopped working 8 months later (I had other reasons too, but...). And yes, SATA is the way forward.

Tiger has an IDE 2-port card for $14.95. That's cheaper than buying a couple of DVD burners, if you have them already.  --doug
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4776345&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=00-36521844-2

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley