Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On Jul 10, 2011 12:37 PM, "Stephan Seitz" <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 06:29:19PM +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. I have a network printer which I, quite naturally, plug
>> into my NAT/router so it's in my private 192.168.0. network with my
>> desktop and laptop computers. I'm not sure if the printer even supports
>> IPv6 but for now let's assume that it does. How would this kind of
>> setting fit into a pure IPv6 world? Of course I want my printer to be
>> still private and not available to the whole Internet. I need some kind
>> of private network. How will I build that?
>

> You have private IPv6 addresses as well. They are called Unique Local Unicast (fc00::/7 (fc… and fd…)). For now you only can use addresses starting with fd.
>
> But since there is no NAT for IPv6, if your printer needs internet access (e.g. firmware updates) and you don’t have a HTTP proxy (if your printer supports a proxy), your printer could not connect to the internet. It would need a public IPv6 address.

Heh, I think this is moot for most network printers. Ie, I have an HP 4050 and know for a fact that the jetdirect card will never support ipv6 (unless someone publishes a custom ROM). So I'll need to run dual stacks or (more likely) have a router that does 6to4 for my printer. I expect most routers with ipv6 to do 6to4 native for old devices like my printer and older routers (can't wait for the cheap Cisco gear).

Also, instead of setting port forwarding rules for nat, I think consumer will default to 'drop incoming connections' and you'll just allow per subnet, ip, port, protocol. Slightly different, but the same type of interface and general concept.